I make it up as I go.

Friday 8 November 2013

Recent writings

I'm not doing a very good job of sticking to my plan of updating this blog with occasional personal essays splattered amongst worklog posts. I'll get there eventually, I guess, but for now let's play some catch up.

Features

I've had four reported features published since the end of July. There was a big story on Polygon the people trying to make video games accessible to the blind, and the blind gamers who stand to benefit. Then I had a piece on the efforts to preserve Australia and New Zealand's video game heritage, with the wonderful State Library of Victoria and a cool project called Play It Again cited.

I had wanted to write for ages about a community of fans of the soccer/football management game Championship Manager 01/02 that still obsesses over it more than a decade later. In early October, I got my chance with my debut piece for Eurogamer.

And just this week I got my fourth Polygon story published — a lengthy profile of Melbournian Steve Fawkner, a 30-year game development veteran who had two big hits (Warlords and Puzzle Quest) 18 years apart.

Stepping Up

Eurogamer wasn't the only place I broke into contributing to over the past few months. I also got a story published on leading tech publication MIT Technology Review, writing about a cool project that lets blind people interact with a camera worn around their neck through hand gestures. It helps them understand their surroundings, identifying people, objects, colors, and distance.

Mac|Life

I'm contributing more regularly to Mac|Life now. There are a couple of things I've written for the magazine coming up in the next few months, plus loads of reviews and galleries (lists). Here's my output since the end of July:

AppStorm

I phased out my involvement with the Web and Mac sections of AppStorm (the last couple of Mac posts are mixed in below), but I'm still very much a contributor to the Android coverage. Big pieces from the past few months include a review/interview combo on the MOGA Pocket game controller, two mega roundups, and a review of the iRig audio gear for Android and iPad.

Archive.vg/MacScene

I haven't had much time for the hobby gigs (a far cry from when I was able to do lengthy features and off-beat news reporting), but I still managed to do my regular emulation news roundup on MacScene and to get a few experimental game reviews on Archive. Hoping to get a new game diary going soon. (Here's a link to the last one.) Below is all the Archive stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment